Tickets available to "New Year's In Paradise" and "Unstoppable Youth!"
See below for details
All Hallow's Eve, or "Halloween", falls on a Monday, but there are plenty of spooky festivities to be had on Sunday, October 30th at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel along the Kohala Coast.
We'll be kicking off our current season with a wide-ranging selection of classical works designed to get you into the mood to experience a dash of the supernatural, a pinch of the occult, and whatever otherworldly experiences life has to offer with "Symphonically Spooky".
Below is merely a taste of some of the great works we will be playing under the baton of Maestro Brian Dollinger during our inaugural concert for the 2016/2017 season.
- Danse Macabre, op. 40 by Camille Saint-Saëns
- In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg
- Funeral March of a Marionette by Charles Gounod
- Witches Round Dance from Symphonie Fantastique by Hector Berlioz
And much more!
Date and Time:
Sunday, October 30th at 4 PM
The Grand Ballroom of the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
"New Year's In Paradise"
While the rest of the world may get back to work on January 3rd, here in Hawaii, it is rarely too late to celebrate the arrival of a New Year, ripe with possibility!
In contrast to the dangerous and suggestive atmosphere of the musical lineup for our October Concert, "New Year's In Paradise" is designed to uplift, inspire, and set the tone for everyone to have a memorable and delightful 2017.
This concert will feature a strong selection of classical Strauss Waltzes, and more:
- Wein, Weib, und Gesang, op. 333 (Wine, Women, and Song)
- Le nozze de Figaro Overture by W.A. Mozart
- Carnival Overture, op. 92 by Antonin Dvorak
- Orpheus in the Underworld Overture by Jacques Offenbach
This concert will also be the debut of the Kamuela Philharmonic Orchestra at the Keauhou Convention Center, located at the Sheraton Resort in Kona. We are delighted to finally be working with a venue and organization that has been such a stalwart supporter of the arts on the Big Island, including the Kona Choral Society and the Chamber Orchestra of Kona, both of whom feature many of the same players as the Kamuela Philharmonic Orchestra.
Date and Time:
Sunday, January 22nd at 4 PM
The Keauhou Convention Center at the Sheraton Resort in Kona
Finally, our most popular concert of year! This concert's full lineup will, as always, be determined in part by the winners of the Madeline Schatz-Harris Concerto Competition. Next season's competition will feature students on brass, woodwind, percussion, and piano.
In addition, we are also planning to perform the following
- Symphony #5 by Ludwig Van Beethoven
Date and Time:
Sunday, March 26th at 4 PM
The Kahilu Theatre in Waimea
As always, mahalo nui loa to our supporters, concert sponsors, donors, and audience. We at the Kamuela Philharmonic are looking forward to many more years of making wonderful music together!
Past Concerts of the 2016/2017 Season
'An Evening of Chamber Music'
Featuring Rei Hotoda, Brian Dollinger, and more
Concert pianist and classical music conductor Rei Hotoda will be performing in a lovely residence located in Kohala Ranch. She will be performing both solo and alongside her husband, Artistic Director Brian Dollinger on double bass, and many of KPO's best performers. Tickets are $75 and include complimentary pupus courtesy of Paradise Catering, and wine from Kamuela Liquor Store.
- Three Preludes for Piano, by George Gershwin
- Sonata No. 5 in F major, op. 24 for Violin and Piano by Ludwig Van Beethoven, Mov. 1, featuring Ursula Vietze on violin
- Valse Miniature , op. 1 no. 2 for double bass by Serge Koussevitsky, featuring Brian Dollinger on double bass
- Serenade No. 13 in G maj, k. 525 “Eine kleine Nachtmusik”, 1 st movement by Wolfgang A. Mozart, featuring Ursula Vietze & Joel Gimpel on violin, Susan McGovern on viola, Herb Mahelona on cello, and Brian Dollinger on double bass
Dress up as much as you like, enjoy the music, the food, and the atmosphere, and join the Kamuela Philharmonic for an enchanted Evening of Chamber Music!
Date and Time:
Tuesday, January 17th from 5 PM to approximately 6:30 PM
Private Residence in Kohala Ranch (directions will be sent to ticketholders in advance)
For questions, please contact Executive Director Michael Chu at email@example.com or by calling 530-204-8005